A Better City With The Marina Coastal Expressway (MCE), opening on 29 December 2013, from 9am
Singapore’s tenth expressway, the MCE, will open to traffic from 9.00am on Sunday, 29 December 2013. It will be the strategic east-west high capacity road link between the Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE), East Coast Parkway (ECP) and the Ayer Rajah Expressway (AYE).
Spanning 5km, some 3.6km or three quarters of the MCE is underground, including a 420m-long tunnel below the seabed – a first of its kind in Singapore.
Exciting Opportunities for Marina Downtown
Built in anticipation of the future development of the Marina Bay area, the MCE will help enhance it into a quality live-work-play precinct.
How so? The MCE allows the freeing up of valuable land space currently occupied by the ECP that has potential for many other exciting possibilities in the Marina downtown area.
This freed-up land allows for the creation of a new CBD, with the Marina Bay area as a seamless extension of the existing financial district.
Cross Island Commute Made Easier
A five-lane expressway in both directions, besides offering motorists a smoother connection between the eastern and western parts of the island, the MCE will also provide them with a direct access to the heart of the downtown at Marina South through new connections with Central Boulevard, Marina Boulevard and Maxwell Road.
Road Changes for a Better City
- Removal of a section of the ECP from Marina Boulevard to Prince Edward Road
- Conversion of a stretch of the ECP west of Benjamin Sheares Bridge to a major arterial road and renamed as Sheares Avenue – this will bring traffic from the ECP directly into the CBD and connect with Central Boulevard and Marina Boulevard
- Use Port Road interchange to connect directly to the MCE to travel to the city or to the west
- Existing connection to the ECP (towards City) from Fort Road to be removed due to insufficient distance for safe filtering into the expressway when the MCE opens
- Consider other alternatives, such as via Nicoll Highway, or travel on the East Coast Park Service Road to make a U-turn to join the ECP further east
- Those using Ophir Road to get to Sheares Avenue will first have to enter the CBD, before they can get to the MCE
- Motorists exiting MCE to Central Boulevard, and using Sheares Avenue to connect to the Rochor Road exit will also have to enter the CBD first
Depending on their eventual destinations, motorists can consider alternative routes around the CBD cordon to rejoin the expressway.
Drive Safely in the MCE Tunnel!
Keep within the speed limit of 80 kmh
Switch on your headlights & Turn on your radio (Local/BBC)
Heavy vehicles keep left
Stay in lane
Don’t drive on road shoulder
Don’t stop your vehicle in tunnel
Other terms and conditions apply.
See ad image for more details
Click on thumbnail[s] to enlarge.
Get a FREE Samsonite Black Label Richmond Spinner 75cm Luggage worth S$950 (with min S$1,000 spend within a month from card issuance) when you sign up for a HSBC Visa Platinum credit card (w/ 2-year annual fees waiver) at www.hsbc.com.sg.