|Starts||9 Nov 2011 (Wed)||Ends||31 Dec 2011 (Sat)|
|Location||The Singapore Mint|
Singapore, 9 November 2011 – The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) today launched the 2012 Year of the Dragon Almanac Coins and the 2012 Uncirculated Coin Set. The coins will be issued on 1 January 2012.
Largest coin issued by MAS
As part of the 2012 Year of the Dragon coin collection, MAS will be issuing for the first time, 1 kg 999 fine Silver Proof-like coins with face value of $80. This is the largest uncirculated coin to be issued by MAS. Selected premium sets will include a unique 8-sided floral-shaped ingot featuring a pair of dragons, symbolizing prosperity and divine blessings in the Year of the Dragon.
The dragon coins are part of the third Chinese Almanac Coins Series. The image of the dragon is integrated with ancient Chinese seal characters in a design that combines tradition with modernity. The animal is symbolized by the Chinese characters of the “Heavenly Stems and Earthly Branches” to enhance the characteristics of the animal and the oriental flavour.
The design incorporates a peony which symbolises blessings and festive cheer.
The obverse of the coin bears the Singapore Arms with the year 2012.
Limited Worldwide Mintage
The details of the coins are:
- $200 Gold Proof Coin – 5 troy ounce of 999.9 fine gold with diameter of 60 mm. Limited mintage of 200 pieces.
- $100 Gold Proof Coin – 1 troy ounce of 999.9 fine gold. Mintage of 2,000 pieces.
- $5 Gold Proof Coin – ¼ troy ounce of 999.9 fine gold. Mintage of 2,000 pieces.
- $1 Gold Brilliant Uncirculated Coin – With a diameter of only 7 mm and weighing only 0.3 gm, it is the smallest 999.9 gold coin issued by MAS. Mintage of 10,000 pieces.
- $80 Silver Proof-like Coin – 1 kg of 999 fine silver, with diameter of 100 mm. Limited mintage of 1,000 pieces.
- $25 Silver Proof Coin – 5 troy ounce of 999 fine silver with diameter of 65 mm. Limited mintage of 250 pieces.
- $10 Silver Piedfort Proof Colour Coin – The Dragon is featured on this coin in full colour, with a peony incorporated on its body. It is minted in 2 troy ounce of 999 fine silver with twice the thickness of an ordinary coin. Mintage of 20,000 pieces.
- $2 Silver Proof Coin – 20 gm of 999 fine silver. Mintage of 10,000 pieces.
- $2 Cupro-Nickel Proof-like Coin – 20 gm of Cupro-Nickel alloy. Mintage of 80,000 pieces.
The Lunar Dragon Coins are also available in premium sets:
- 3-in-1 Coin Set
Consists of a 1 troy ounce 999.9 fine gold proof coin, a 2 troy ounce 999 fine silver piedfort proof coloured coin, a cupro-nickel proof-like coin and a floral-shaped ingot. These coins are part of the coin mintages that are sold individually. The gold coin in the 3-in-1 coin set is engraved with a serial number matching that of the accompanying certificate of authenticity. Limited to 500 sets.
- 5 Troy Ounce Lunar Series Coin Set
Consists of a 5 troy ounce 999.9 fine gold proof coin and a 5 troy ounce 999 fine silver proof coin. They are displayed to form the auspicious figure ‘8′. Each coin set comes with a serialised certificate of authenticity. These coins are part of the coin mintages that are sold individually. Limited to 88 sets.
- 2-in-1 Coin Set
Consists of a 2 troy ounce 999 fine silver piedfort proof coin, a cupro-nickel proof-like coin and a floral-shaped ingot. These coins are part of the coin mintages that are sold individually. Limited to 3,000 sets.
2012 Uncirculated Coin Set (5¢ to $5)
This set consists of 5¢, 10¢, 20¢, 50¢, $1 as well as a $5 scallop-edged coin with a latent image of the year ‘2012′ and the MAS logo. The set is presented in an attractive Hongbao pack. Mintage of 60,000 sets.
Sale of Coins
The coins will be sold by The Singapore Mint. For enquiries and coin orders, the public can contact The Singapore Mint at 6566 2626 / 6339 0886 / 6895 0288 / 6222 2486 ，or via Internet at www.singaporemint.com.
Orders must reach The Singapore Mint by 31 December 2011.
See ad images for coin pics
Click on thumbnail[s] to enlarge. Sales on until 31 Dec 2011
Get a FREE Samsonite Black Label Plutus 68cm Luggage worth S$950 (with min spend of S$500 per month, during the first 3 months from card issuance date) when you sign up for a HSBC Visa Platinum credit card (w/ 2-year annual fees waiver) at www.hsbc.com.sg.